- Additional information
GET THE MOST FROM YOUR GEARTHE ZOOM TAC-8Thunderbolt Audio Converter
The rack-mountable TAC-8 audio interface is designed to act as the central hub in both professional and home environments. It provides 8 analog inputs and 10 analog outputs, 10 digital inputs and outputs (in both S/PDIF and ADAT Optical formats), and both Word Clock and MIDI I/O.
Whether you want to record large scale multi-channel 24-bit/192 kHz sessions in your studio without worrying about latency or you want to bring your onstage performance to new heights, the TAC-8 allows you to take full advantage of today’s latest technology.
With 8 analog inputs, 10 digital inputs, and the ability to record and play back 8 channels simultaneously, the TAC-8 allows you to record what you want, when you want. Lay down full backing tracks—drums, bass, guitar, keyboards, even vocals—at the same time, or go big with an 8-mic drum setup, or anything in-between. Thunderbolt’s speed ensures you won’t have to deal with latency issues, and the TAC-8’s built-in software mixer and flexible output options let you customize each session to your needs.
Whether you’re a one-man band with an epic onstage rig or your laptop is serving as the central hub for multiple musicians accessing software effects and virtual instruments, the TAC-8 allows you to fully customize your performance setup according to your needs. Simply connect it to your computer with a Thunderbolt cable and then connect the rear panel TRS outputs to your mixing board or PA system. Wherever you play, you can count on your TAC-8 to deliver the ultimate in high quality audio.
Thunderbolt technology opens up new doors for creators. More than twice as fast as USB 3.0—not to mention twenty times faster than USB 2.0 and twelve times faster than Firewire 800—Thunderbolt is the interconnection technology of the future. Co-developed by Apple and Intel Labs, it allows signal to be transferred at an incredibly fast 10 gigabits per second, which means virtually no latency. Thunderbolt interfaces such as the TAC-8 are also unaffected by computer jitter (slight variations in timing).
State of the art editing with every interface
The Zoom TAC-8 comes with a free download license for Steinberg’s Cubase LE music production software, providing not just the ability to capture incredible high-resolution / low-latency audio in every box, but to do spectacular things with it.
Take your recordings to a more professional level. Steinberg’s powerful and state-of-the-art audio software used by creators around the world now comes with every Zoom TAC-2, TAC-2R, and TAC-8 purchase.
Currently shipping with:
Cubase LE8 for Mac OS X 10.9/10.10 and Windows 7/8/8.1
For information on license activation and upgrades, visit our Steinberg Software support page.
Features at a glance
- 18‐in/20‐out high speed Thunderbolt™ audio interface
- Record and play back 8 tracks simultaneously
- Standalone mode allows use as an 8-channel mic preamp and A/D or D/A converter without
connection to a computer
- Support for up to 24‐bit/192 kHz high‐definition audio
- Near-zero latency audio streaming
- 8 combo balanced XLR/TRS analog input connectors accept both mic and line‐level signal
- High‐performance mic preamps with up to +60 dB of amplification
- Hi‐Z switches allow direct connection of electric guitar or bass (INPUT1, INPUT2)
- Independent gain controls and clip LEDs for each input
- Switchable +48V phantom power (INPUTS 1‐4, INPUTS 5‐8)
- 10 balanced TRS output jacks for connection to mixers, amplifiers, self‐powered speakers,
or effects devices
- Dual front-panel 1/4″ headphone outputs with dedicated volume controls
- Large knob output volume control
- 4x upsampling during A/D and D/A conversion for reduced noise and enhanced fidelity
- Asynchronous transfer system unaffected by computer jitter
- S/PDIF IN/OUT: 2IN / 2OUT, up to 24‐bit/192 kHz audio resolution
- ADAT Optical IN/OUT: 2 IN / 2 OUT at 192/176.4 kHz (S/MUX4 compatible), 4 IN/4 OUT at 96/88.2 kHz
(S/MUX compatible), 8 IN / 8 OUT at 48/44.1 kHz
- Word Clock in/out
- Clock source indicator
- MIDI in/out
- Rack-mountable (1U space)
- Robust metal housing
- Works with all Thunderbolt‐equipped Macintosh computers running OS X 10.9.5 or later